I credit John Sobecki, my friend from New Jersey, who provided all of the following material regarding employment. It was so timely; I decided to pass it along to you.
“I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.”
– Helen Keller
Work for something because it is good, not just because it stands a chance to succeed.
– Vaclav Havel:
The US Department of Labor released the unemployment figures recently…9.7% of the population who are unemployed and collecting some unemployment benefits. But the report also admitted that the real figure of total unemployed in the US must include those who are labeled “discouraged.” This percentage is 16.76%!!
Here are some current statistics found in the article about the world of work.
- Even with today’s unemployment statistics, more than 62% of employed individuals in middle to upper level jobs are currently looking for new employment. Their managers underestimate the level of dissatisfaction and believe that only 30% of their subordinates are looking. (Conference Board.)
- 60% of those making more than $50k are more likely to have some satisfaction with their current job. This also means that 40 % of those making more than $50k a year are not satisfied or consider themselves non productive in their current employment. There is a higher % of dissatisfaction for those making less than $50k a year. (US Dept of Labor)
- The number one reason why an employee leaves a company for employment elsewhere is —- conflict with their supervisor. (US Dept of Labor)
- The average cost to replace an employee who has quit or has been let go is around 33% of a mid level employee’s salary (US Department of Labor)
- Only 5% of the companies with more than 50 employees say that they invest in their managers by training them in managerial or leadership (supervisory) skills (ASTD)
- Trust in an organization can be measured by the quality of communication within that organization or group ( J. Woititz )
- After two decades of constant decline in union membership there was a dramatic increase in union membership from 2007- 2008 of 12% and membership is expected to go up again in 2009. (US Dept of Labor)
Remember to offer a prayer today for every person who is stressed by the inability to find gainful employment or those working for wages insufficient to support their family. Pray that they may emerge from this trial spiritually enriched and renewed with enthusiasm for work. Be grateful for your own employment. Give thanks to God. And, be generous with your time, willing to help anyone seeking new employment or improved opportunities.